Apr 19, 2016

Robin's Heart


Robin's Heart was a project of love for my sister Robin.  Hearts are one of her favorites and the feather represents our mother who passed away several years ago.  Please excuse the background shine, I neglected to take a final photo before I had the piece matted and shrink wrapped in preparation for shipping.

I'd like to share the process of how this came together for those who are interested.


The tangle I used to morph into a heart is "Grace" by Helena. It's a tricky little beast!  All I can say about the pattern is to tackle two or three hearts in the chain at a time to achieve the 3-D effect.  I started this one twice to get it right. I used a Micron .01 to draw the hearts after first drawing a penciled in heart shape first.


This photo shows the pattern completed with color, shading and highlights added. I used my favorite colored pencils, Caran d'Ache Luminance colored pencils.  They really take the color layers beautifully without a waxy bloom.  Seven colors were used so achieve the dominant color and shading.  You can see the feather design sketched in the middle getting ready to add color.



Feather has been added and now we're ready for the background!


Concentration! The tangle pattern used for the background is "Y-Ful Power" by Soshi. Click on this link for the step-out.  The pattern is started with an offset grid drawn in pencil.  If you look at the step-out this will make more sense.  I drew the entire grid in pencil first and then started the pattern, only doing one small section at a time. Again I used a Micron .01 for the pattern lines. Next came the shading, I use a 4B graphite pencil and a paper blending stub for detail.  For the shadow I still went for a 4B but applied a much denser layer of graphite before blending.

So there it is! I'd be happy to answer any questions about this piece or tangled inspired art in general, just leave me a comment and I promise to get back to you.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. A truly beautiful piece. I'm sure your sister will treasure it forever. Thanks for sharing the piece itself and info on how to create the different parts of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous! Thank you so much for the feedback, it's always helpful to know what thoughts people have on the posts. If you haven't already signed up for each post, I would love it if you would. I'm hoping to start posting once a week as I return to the blog world! Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Trisha, this is gorgous - I love the colour and contrast that you've got against the background, and the shading really makes the whole piece leap into 3-D! I am sure your sister will love it, and I think the symbolism of the feather in memory of your mother is beautiful. Thank you so much for using my pattern to such good effect, and for including a link to my blog too - much appreciated! I have done an art piece featuring Y-Ful Power which is being published in a Zentangle book next month by Jane Marbaix, a CZT here in the UK - it depicts my cancer journey of last year, and you can read about it here:
    http://shoshiplatypus.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/commission-for-zentangle-book.html

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I meant to say, thank you for visiting my blog!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha, My Amazing Sister,
    When I opened the box I literally gasped as tears of joy streamed down my cheeks. I will treasure it always as I treasure you my dear sister.
    Love Always
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Recent News

Translate

Search This Blog